Homemade chicken pot pie-the ultimate comfort food!
- Place pie dough into 2 (9-inch) pie pans or 1 (9-by-13-inch) baking dish. Set aside.
- Remove turkey from turkey legs, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt butter in heavy dutch oven and sautee leek, onion, potatoes and carrots until tender. Add mushrooms, and cook about 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables.
- Slowly add chicken broth, and cook a few minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey, parsley, seasoning and thyme.
- Remove from heat, and slowly add heavy cream, stirring to combine. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour filling into baking dish or pie pans. Roll out pastry to fit top of each pie, then place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry.
- Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water, then brush over top of piecrust. Bake at 375 degrees 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
Option to freeze: Cover and freeze unbaked potpies up to three months. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pie on a baking sheet, cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350 degrees, remove foil, then bake 55 to 60 minutes longer or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165 degrees.