This is comfort food at it’s finest. Shepherd’s pie has been around for centuries, yet we still found a way to bring that country flare to it. This recipe features Shawnee Mills Brown Gravy mix as a special ingredient. Enjoy this personal-sized pie that is packed with vegetables, meat, potatoes, and cheese. It’s a full meal in one!
(sheep-watching not required)
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt
- Peel and quarter 2 russet potatoes and carefully place in boiling water for 10 minutes
- Drain potatoes and set aside in a medium bowl
- In a medium skillet, turn the heat to medium and add olive oil and onion to the pan until softened (3-5 minutes). Then, stir in tomato paste.
- Next, add preferred ground meat and sauté for 5 minutes
- Stir in 3 cloves of minced garlic, carrots, and green peas, cooking for an additional 5 minutes
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of hot water and 1/4 cup of Shawnee Mills Brown Gravy mix. Then, pour the gravy into the meat and vegetable pan.
- Spoon the meat and vegetables into a small 14 oz cast iron skillet and set aside
- Add milk, 2 cloves of minced garlic, sour cream, and unsalted butter to the medium bowl that contains the potatoes. Whisk on low using a hand mixer until smooth.
- In the smoothed potatoes, stir in ½ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Next, scoop the potatoes with cheese and layer on top of the vegetable and meat mixture in the cast iron skillet
- On the top layer, add ¼ cup parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, and sliced green onion
- Place in the oven at 400 °F for 7-9 minutes to brown the top of the Shepherds Pie