This big city recipe is wrapped in the country goodness of Shawnee Milling’s flour and cornmeal. Loaded with hearty vegetables, stringy cheese, and tasty marinara, this pizza is filling and bursting with flavor!
- In a large bowl, add ½ C water, instant dry yeast, and sugar and let it sit for 7-9 minutes.
- In a second bowl, whisk 1 1/2 tsp salt, cream of tartar, Shawnee Best All-Purpose Flour, and Shawnee Best Yellow Cornmeal
- Next, pour the contents of the second bowl into a food processor, followed by the contents of the large bowl, then the grapeseed oil.
- Process the dough on high, slowly pouring in ¼ C of water until dough forms together. If the dough is not yet formed add 2-3 tablespoons more of water.
- Once the dough is formed remove from the processor, lightly flour your clean countertop, and knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Lightly oil a glass bowl and roll dough inside the bowl, then cover with plastic wrap for 2 hours. The dough should roughly double in size.
- Add 1 T olive oil to a large saucepan and saute mushrooms with a bay leaf, thyme, and 1/2 tsp salt for 5-7 minutes.
- Thaw and drain the moisture from the spinach using a cheesecloth or paper towel and add to the saucepan for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Drain moisture from both the artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes, then add both to the pan and stir
- Using 2 T olive oil, grease a 12 inch cast iron skillet.
- Return to the now risen dough. Lay the dough in the center of the skillet and press evenly and up the sides of the cast iron skillet. Cover with plastic wrap to rest for 30 minutes.
- Return to cast iron skillet and reinforce the placement, pressing the dough completely up the side of the skillet
- Begin layering the Chicago pizza by filling the base with vegetables in the saucepan.
- Next, layer 7 slices of provolone and 7 slices mozzarella cheese and press down onto vegetables.
- Lastly, add marinara sauce, then top with grated parmesan cheese and drizzled olive oil
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes
Cool and enjoy
Prep Time 2 hours and 50 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes in oven 15 minutes
Recipe used compliments of Chef Amari