Featuring Country gravy mix, this is a 1-2-3 using canned tomatoes and fresh basil and garlic. Homemade goodness for any cost conscious homemaker.
- In a 4-qt stock pot add diced tomatoes and garlic; allow to come to a simmer.
- Add tomato puree, fresh chopped basil, white pepper and nutmeg. Allow mixture to simmer on low for 10 to 15 min, stirring from time to time.
- While tomato mixture is cooking, in a small sauce pot bring 3 cups of water to a boil, then whisk together in a measuring cup the gravy mix and one cup of cold water. Add this to the boiling water and whisk briskly.
- When the tomato mixture is fully cooked, add the cream gravy using a whisk. Adjust consistency with a little water as needed.
- Serve immediately, or this soup holds well in double boiler.