What’s better than fresh donuts from the donut shop? Fresh donuts out of your own oven! These are fun to make and even more enjoyable to eat. Soft, light, and sweet, these practically melt in your mouth.
- In a large bowl, spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Begin by warming up 1C of whole milk for 20-30 seconds in the microwave.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 packet of active dry yeast to the milk, and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir Shawnee Mills All Purpose Flour and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter, 1/4C sugar, and ½ tsp vanilla.
- Pour yeast mixture into large bowl and whisk.
- Take contents of medium bowl (Shawnee Mills All Purpose Flour and salt) and stir into the large bowl of wet ingredients (eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla) until dough forms.
- Spray counter with nonstick cooking spray and empty dough from large bowl onto counter.
- Knead dough for 7-8 minutes.
- Form dough into a ball and place into separate large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Let it rise for an hour.
- While waiting for dough to rise, prepare fryer by adding vegetable oil and setting to 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough and use donut cutter, biscuit cutter, or glass cup to cut donuts. The diameter should be 4” wide and ½ “ thick. Use smaller cookie-cutter to remove middle of donut (the hole). Tip: Save the middle of donuts cut out for donut holes that you can fry separately.
- Add donuts to the fryer, cooking a few at a time, based on the size of your fryer.
- Fry each side for 20 seconds or until golden brown, remove donuts, then set on cooling rack.
- In a small bowl, stir ½ tsp vanilla, powdered sugar, and water to create icing.
- Once donuts have cooled dip each side into the icing in the bowl, and place on parchment paper.