These tiny, fluffy pillow-like breads are a light treat for breakfast or dessert. When you add praline sauce to each bite, it’ll whisk you away to a down home country road where life is slower.
- Leave the butter out to soften
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, pour water, 1 tsp sugar, and instant dry yeast and let sit for 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl, whisk kosher salt, baking soda, and Shawnee Best All-Purpose Flour
- Pour medium bowl into the large bowl or stand mixer and mix for 3 minutes in the stand mixer (or 4 minutes if using your hands)
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, evaporated milk, 1/3 C of sugar, softened butter, and vanilla extract. Then, add to the large bowl or stand mixer
- Lightly grease a clear glass bowl with olive oil and add beignets dough covering for 2 hours
- Generously dust your countertop with Shawnee Best All-Purpose Flour and remove dough from the bowl
- Roll out the dough 1 ½ inch thick and cut squares 2 by 2 inches wide
- Leave dough out to rest for 30 minutes, and begin to heat vegetable oil in a fryer at 375°
- Once vegetable oil is heated, drop 7 beignets at a time for 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove
- Place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to remove excess oil
- Finish by plating and sprinkling powdered sugar on top
Cool and serve with praline sauce to bring out that true country flavor!
Prep Time 2 hours 45 minutes
Cook Time 2 minutes