- Place *whole chicken, onion, bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste in stock pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until done. Remove chicken and spices; cool and de-bone (or you can leave the chicken in cut-up pieces)
- For the dumplings, combine salt, baking powder and flour. Cut in butter with pastry blender. Add milk and mix well.
- Turn out onto lightly-floured board or countertop and knead lightly. Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into strips.
- Drop strips into boiling chicken broth. Add cut up chicken. Cover and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes.
* instead of a whole chicken, the option to simply use cut up boneless chicken breast is available