Get a taste of Tuscany with this Italian dish, featuring tender eggplant, bubbly mozzarella, and symphony of herbs and spices. Buon appetito!
- Set oven to 350°
- Pour vegetable oil into the fryer and set the temperature to 400°
- Wash eggplant and slice ¼ inch thick
- Place a paper towel on a baking sheet pan (or counter top), then spread out slices of eggplant
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of the eggplant, then add a top layer of paper towels
- Place a heavy pan (or other heavy object) on top of the top layer of paper towels to help bring out the moisture
- After 30 minutes remove the heavy pan, dust off the salt from the eggplant, and add eggplant to a large bowl
- In a medium-size bowl, mix 1 C Shawnee Best All-Purpose Flour, ¼ C Shawnee Best Yellow Cornmeal, dried basil, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, and salt
- Press each slice of the eggplant into the medium bowl mixture to coat, then carefully drop it into the fryer for 2-3 minutes
- Remove eggplant from fryer and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to help absorb excess oil
- Combine flaxseed and water into one bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine ⅔ C Shawnee Best All-Purpose Flour and ⅔ C Shawnee Best Yellow Cornmeal
- Press slices of the fried eggplant into the flaxseed and then into the cornmeal and flour
- Return the eggplant back to the fryer until golden brown (approx 2-3 minutes)
- Remove eggplant from fryer and pat dry to remove oil
- In a 9 by 13 pan, add olive oil to coat pan, then a layer of marinara sauce, followed a layer of the sliced eggplant (do not overlap), a layer of shredded mozzarella cheese, a layer of shredded parmesan cheese, and a layer of fresh basil. Repeat this step three times.
- Thinly slice the fresh mozzarella and top each row of eggplant parmesan
- Sprinkle fresh basil on top and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Next, broil the top of the dish for 3-5 minutes to brown mozzarella. Cool and serve.
Prep Time 50 minutes
Cook Time 41 minutes
Recipe is courtesy of Chef Amari.