Do not adjust your screen, what you’re seeing is tofu, not chicken. As more people look for vegetarian alternatives to classic recipes, this one is a winner. WIth a surprisingly crispy texture similar to chicken nuggets, this country-fried tofu can be served as an entree or a dinner party appetizer with toothpicks. Take it to the next level of deliciousness by dipping in Shawnee Mills Brown Gravy Mix. Plant-based goodness for the whole family.
Note: Freeze tofu beforehand
- Place the frozen package of tofu in the microwave for 5 minutes.
- Slice open one corner of the tofu package, and drain the water from package over the sink.
- Carefully press the tofu, removing all excess water.
- Cut the tofu into half inch cubes and sprinkle each side with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, add cayenne pepper, Shawnee Mills All Purpose Flour, and club soda. Mix ingredients well.
- In another small bowl, mix panko bread crumbs and Shawnee Yellow Cornmeal.
- Dip seasoned tofu cubes into club soda mixture then dip into panko mixture. Set tofu cubes aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil and drop a few pieces of cubed tofu in at a time. Turn pieces over to get a golden crust on all sides of cubes. Remove tofu and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
– Recipe compliments of Chef Amari