Savory beef filling all wrapped up in a flaky crust! Serve all by themselves or with a dipping sauce such as salsa or chimichurri sauce.
- Empanada dough:
- Food Processor: Pulse flour and salt. Add the butter, and pulse until mixed.
- Whisk together the egg and the 1/3 water, add in small increments and continue pulsing until a clumpy dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 2 large balls; flatten slightly into the shape of disks. At this point, you can either proceed with making the empanadas, or you can refrigerate for up to two days.
- Beef empanada filling preparation:
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a large frying pan, add the chopped onions and crushed garlic. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and seasonings, cook until beef is no longer pink. Adjust seasonings, set aside to cool completely before assembling empanadas.
- Assembly of Empanadas:
- To make the empanada, roll out one disc of dough into a thin sheet and cut out round shapes for empanadas, using a large biscuit cutter or use a small 5″ plate as a guide*.
- Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the beef picadillo filling on the center of each empanada round.
- Fold the empanada rounds and gently seal the edges with your fingers. Then twist and fold the edges of the empanadas with your fingers. Finish by using a fork to press down on the edges.
- Place empanadas in the refrigerator to rest, repeat with the second disc of dough.
- Pre-heat oven to 375*, line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper, or lightly spray with non-stick baking spray.
- Place empanadas 2′ apart on prepared baking sheet pan.
- Lightly brush empanadas with whisked egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm with desired sauce.
* You can also make small individual balls with the dough and roll out each individual ball to a round shape. – Own a tortilla press, you can use it to flatten the dough balls.
Recipe courtesy of Home Baking Association.