Everyone loves these apple pie bars, with their rich shortbread crust, scrumptious apple pie filling and streusel topping, the perfect way to serve apple pie to a crowd!
- Pre-heat oven to 325* lightly grease and flour an 8 inch square baking pan, set aside.
- Shortbread crust.
- In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together the flour and salt.
- In larger mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, cream sugar and butter until well combined.
- Add flour mixture and stir until makes a stiff dough.
- Spread in prepared 8″ pan, bake crust for 5 or 6 minutes.
- Prepare apple filling:
- In medium bowl mix apples, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Remove pan from oven, turn up oven temperature to 350*
- Spread apple filling over crust, set aside.
- Streusel Topping:
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, oats,brown sugar and cinnamon, using a pastry cutter, two knives or even your fingers cut in the cold butter until you have coarse crumbs the size of a small pea.
- Fold in chopped walnuts. Sprinkle evenly over top of apples, return pan to oven for 35 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly.
- Tip: If the top starts to brown too much, then cover with foil and continue to bake until apples are tender.
- Optional: Serve with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe courtesy of the Home Baking Association.