This impressive dessert captures your favorite flavors of fall.
- Melt butter in 8- or 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Arrange apple slices and pecans over butter-sugar mixture. Turn heat down to medium-low while making cake batter. remove several slices to garnish the top.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar and apple pie spice. Add melted butter, egg, milk and sour cream. Mix until just moistened.
- Spread cake batter over remaining apples and pecans, gently spreading to cover. Add the reserved apples to garnish the top of the cake.
- Move to a preheated 375-degree oven, and bake 20 minutes or until cake is golden and slightly puffy. You can use a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.